Senior School – End of term 1 Newsletter
Parents and guardians, on behalf of Mother Touch Group of Schools,(MTGS ) I hope I find you well. We thank God for taking us this far together in our efforts to holistically educate and develop our children. Our enrolment has grown and we are ever grateful that you chose us for the education of your children. We are delighted with the increase in our curriculum and the addition of new subjects like Science at A Level, Chinese and Driving School.
MEET THE TEACHER
85% of our parents heeded the call to come to meet the teachers. This interaction is very important and we urge all parents to spare that slotted time to come and meet the teachers, and understand how the child is developing in his or her studies and needs.
INTERHOUSE ATHLETICS COMPETITIONS
We managed to select a team that represented MTGS at the District competitions. Two learners, Ali Mamudu and Godknows Damba got gold medals and qualified to represent the district at the provincial level at Eaglesvale. Denzel Julius won a silver medal in hurdles, Komborero Murove got a bronze medal in Hurdles and Ian Dangarembizi obtained a bronze medal in 200 meters race. We are proud of Ali Mamudu who scooped a silver medal at the provincial competitions.
- Two learners, Rumbidzai Mundeta and Carol Neshava, participated in solo music competitions and were awarded Honours and First class respectively.
- Well done to Rumbidzai Mundeta and Tanaka Mhlanga were auditioned and chosen to be part of Zimpraise team.
- Five boys, Tanaka Mubvakure, Munashe Mandembo, Joshua Muzangaza, Tawananyasha Murandu and Tinotenda Munjome rose MGHS flag as they won the first class award at the National Institute of Allied Arts at Prince Edward.
- Our choir participated in the National Institute of Allied Arts vocal and instrumental Eisteddfod singing competitions at Gateway High School and won the second class award in African choirs.
- The school was awarded a certificate of participation at the SEDC British Parliamentary debate competitions. Carol Neshava, Michael Katsande and Ratidzo Bhamu scooped the first, second and third positions respectively in the Provincial High Schools Debate Challenge competitions.
- Carol Neshave further scooped a prize for the best speaker at SECTA DEBATE CHAMPIONISHIP (SEDC). Munyaradzi Nhari and Michael Katsande were the runners up at the same competition and they were awarded certificates.
- Eight of our learners, Munyaradzi Nhari, Carol Neshava, Archford Mushore, Michael Katsande, Munashe Meso, Komborero Murove, Cheryl Mutero and Charles Muyezwa further qualified to represent Harare province at the National competitions to be held in Mutare from 12 to16 April 2019.
ZIMSEC ORDINARY AND ADVANCED LEVEL RESULTS
We are very proud of our O’ Level results which rose from 63% in 2017 to 73.3% in 2018. The ‘A’ level the graph went up from 82% in 2017 to 93% in 2018. Out of the 43 learners who set for the ‘A’ level examinations, 40 of them qualified for University and all have secured places. We applaud the dedication of our learners, teachers and parents.
It is compulsory that all learners go for their Leadership and Educational trips as they are part of our school and national curriculum. We take this opportunity to train our learners in effective life skills, grooming and etiquette among other areas. The trip fee covers transport, accommodation, food, facilitation, entrance fees contingence to list a few
The following trips were very successful and we would like to thank all the parents for the support:
- 100% learners went for the Geography trips to Glenara Estate, Harare CBD and Hill slope in Tynawald South.
- In Agriculture, the learners visited the Chinese Aid Technological Centre, Henderson Research Station in Mazowe and Pedstock in Westgate.
VICTORIA FALLS TRIP:
Our Form 1 and 2 learners are going to Victoria Falls for their Leadership and Educational Tour from 23 to 25 June 2019. The learners will be in Victoria Falls for 2 nights and 3 days. Parents are advised to make a half down deposit by the end of April for planning purposes and the balance by end of May. The total cost for the trip is US$ 200.00 per learner.
KARIMAZONDO (MARONDERA) TRIP:
Our Form 3 and Lower 5 learners will tour Karimazondo from 21 to 23June 2019. The Trip fee is US$75.00.
THE GREAT ZIMBABWE TRIP:
Our Form 4 and Upper 6, History and Geography learners are going for their 3 day annual Great Zimbabwe Leadership and Educational tour from 2 to 4 August 2019. The trip includes touring the Great Zimbabwe, Hot Springs, Birchenough Bridge and Vumba Mountains. The trip fee of US$140.00 covers accommodation at the five star Flamboyant Hotel and Holiday Inn Mutare.
All the Agriculture learners will visit the Eastern Highlands for their Agricultural tour from 26 to 29 September 2019. The trip fee is US$151.
The school will organise local trips for other subjects to buttress what they have been taught in the classroom. This also enables them to balance their academic with practical experience. These are as follows:-
- 31 May- Form 3 Agricultural trip to SeedCo and Prime Seeds
- 28 June – Form 4 and 6 Geography trip to Bindura Mine
- 28 June- Form 4 Agriculture trip to Gushungo Holdings
- 17 September – Form 4 and 6 Lake Chivero Geography trip
- 27 September ZBC English department tour.
INTERNATIONAL TOUR TO EUROPE
The 2019 International trip to Llangollen Eisteddfod UK is going to be held from 1 to 13 July 2019. The learners will tour London and Wales. Learners who get the opportunity to go on this International Tour will never be the same. The exposure and international experience that our learners get are very important as they pursue their educational and professional careers. The trip fee inclusive of air ticket, visa, accommodation, insurance, food, activities, transport around UK and other logistics is $2 700 USD per learner.
As we get into the winter season all boys are allowed to wear navy blue trousers and blazers. Girls are allowed to wear navy blue slacks and long sleeved white blouses with a blazer. The blazer is compulsory with the slacks. Learners should put on blazers on assembly every Monday and Friday.
We recruited a results oriented teacher, Mr Muvoti to teach Physics and Maths. Mr Chipangura was taken on board to teach Commercials and Mr Madhodha as sports coach for Rugby, Handball, Baseball/Softball and Cricket.
FEES AND LEVIES
As a school, we endeavour to continue working diligently to bring out the best in our learners. However, we need parents’ support to produce the expected excellent results. We expect fees to be paid before schools open for the smooth running of our school. Non-payment of fees on time has negative emotional and psychological effect on our learners.
We also thrive to keep our staff members motivated and provide the necessary resources so as to produce the expected excellent results. As a school, we have no other sources of income except the fees and levies. Our fees are US$180 or prevailing daily RTGS per transfer
We have introduced RTGS $20 for Science levy for all learners from Form 1 to 4 since it is now a requirement from the new curriculum that all learners do Combined Science and write a practical paper at O level. The Lower and Upper 6 learners will only pay the RTGS $20 if they are doing the Sciences. The learners who are doing Agriculture and Technical Graphics will pay a practical fee of RTGS $10.
We are ever grateful to all parents/guardians who pay fees and levies on time.
Our banking account details for fees and levies are as follows:
Mother Touch Group of Schools, Banc ABC, Heritage Branch, Account number: 12555355402010 for RTGS $. Swipe and Eco cash payments are accepted at the school front office. For NOSTRO Account; Account name; Mother Touch Group of Schools, CBZ, Branch SELOUS , Account number – 11123814680035.
Please note that the government is charging for any transaction we make. Therefore, there will be a charge of 5% for depositing money into a wrong account. All refunds you initiate will attract 10% charge.
UPCOMING EVENTS DURING APRIL HOLIDAY.
ORDINARY AND ADVANCED LEVEL ZIMSEC REGISTRATION
ZIMSEC registration is in progress. ‘O’ Level registration fee per subject is RTGS $15.00. ‘A’ level registration fee per subject is RTGS $26.00
English Language and Communication Skills is RTGS $ 24.00: Compulsory for every ‘A’ level student
Stationery and running costs is RTGS $10.00 per student.
The closing date for registration is Friday10 May 2019. Payments should be deposited directly into the school account (see account details above)
Registration fee is RTGS $25.00 and should be paid by 10 May 2019. Payments should be made directly into the school account above.
We shall be conducting holiday lessons from 23 April to 3 May 2019. The cost for the two weeks is RTGS $50.
Our School Rugby boys and girls team will participate in the Dairibord festival to be held at Prince Edward from 28 April to 4 May 2019.
National debate competitions shall be from 12 to 16 April 2019 in Mutare.
In conclusion, we want to thank all parents and guardians for choosing Mother Touch Senior School for the education of our children and for your continued support. We wish you a blessed Easter Festival. May God continue blessing us all.
For and on behalf of Mother Touch Senior School
You can download the PDF version of this Newsletter here